Back in the Saddle with Juglone

After spending a whole summer teaching on a different campus where it wasn’t feasible to keep up my garage-style experiments on Juglone, I am finally back at my home campus.  One of the first things I did to avoid writing syllabi and setting up turnitin.com accounts was to try to repeat a previous experiment whose goal was to figure out if I could use a seed germination assay to quantitate juglone levels.  In that experiment I took the stereotypically virologist approach by diluting my extract out and testing for inhibition of seed germination.  Theoretically, there should be a dilution at which I should achieve 50% inhibition and if two samples (different trees, different parts of same tree or maybe the same tree at different times of the year) contain different amounts of juglone, I may be able to see that.  There are all kinds of reasons why this might not work (sensitivity being a huge potential problem), but the beauty of all this is that I’m not under a grant deadline and real soon, I will be able to have my students asking real questions with this assay.  Its also ridiculously cheap and easy to do.

Naturally, as I walk out in the forest to that same walnut tree I have been taking from, I decide that I am going to compare extract from the walnut hulls (which are now fat and green) to that from the leaves (according to some really old literature (a review-post is called for) there should be more in hulls).  I also decided to forgo my previous habit of letting the extracts stir at room temperature overnight – I bet filtering and diluting immediately will give results (and allow students to do their own extractions and start germinations in the same lab period).

Survey says:

Simulating botanical biowarfare

So it still dilutes out, although that first dilution has a pretty steep effect with the hull extract.  I am not ready to believe that this means hulls have more until until it repeats.  In doing this I saw something that I had forgotten about from last time: drying out is a problem and could be having a comparable effect to the extract. All of these plates looked ok, but I also did the exact same experiment with corn and had to throw that data out (some petri dishes dry out, some don’t).  Parafilm will solve this, although that adds cost (maybe a grant wouldn’t be so bad (not)) and an extra step that students can mess up.  Need to think on that.  Also need to find a different, less expensive seed that is sensitive to walnut extract (peas, as you will recall, did not work out).  Also need to bug our chemistry professors to help me get that colorimetric assay worked out.

Advertisements

About SubOptimist

I am an Associate Professor in the Science Department at Georgia Perimeter College, Clarkston. I teach introductory biology courses at both the majors and non-majors level in addition to microbiology. Previous to that I spent 7 years as a postdoctoral researcher on different viruses. While I don't miss being on the "grant treadmill", I think better when I write and miss writing up data for papers and grants; this blog helps me with that a little. And sometimes my kids' insanely funny and cute antics need to be shared with the world. Any view expressed in this blog is that of me personally and not Georgia Perimeter College or the GPC Clarkston Science Department.
This entry was posted in garage science, Southeastern Natural History and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Back in the Saddle with Juglone

  1. T Bobb says:

    I am wondering how you obtain your Juglone extract. Do you soak the hulls in water?

    • SubOptimist says:

      Essentially yes. For the fruits we cut the tissue away from the nut, then blended in a blender with an equal amount of water, then let that sit overnight. We have also done the leaves this way. I am sure there are better ways to do it, some way to standardize extractions, but I have been so busy with teaching that I haven’t gotten to that.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s